Martial Warrior
Combat pistol - Printable Version

+- Martial Warrior (http://martialwarrior.us)
+-- Forum: General (http://martialwarrior.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Martial Weapons (http://martialwarrior.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Combat pistol (/showthread.php?tid=256)

Combat pistol - Kong Soo Do Karate - 08-15-2017

RE: Combat pistol - sidekick - 08-19-2017

Simply standing and draw / fire is not factual training. If you want to train for a real encounter, the heart rate must be increased. You may be a great shot but try a quick sprint (LEO chasing a perp) then draw and fire and see what, if you can hit what your supposed to............great eye opener.

RE: Combat pistol - fastbolt - 08-20-2017

Just like other arts in many respects.

You can work to learn the basics and then work to master them. Then, you can learn more advanced aspects of the techniques and skills. More work to master them.

You can learn to apply them under stress and in different situations and conditions.

You can learn to adapt to awkward positioning, unplanned shifts in balance and dynamic movement.

You can strive to safely and effectively learn to fight with them.

You have to learn to adapt to intense physical exertion, as well as train to try to prevent the effects of a hormonal fear response from degrading your ability to use your learned skills.

RE: Combat pistol - Kong Soo Do Karate - 09-17-2017

I'm attending a course tomorrow at our agency range that specifically deals with the off-duty weapon using our normal gear we'd be wearing off-duty.  Since I'm one of the agency instructors I was run through some of the drills/scenarios as a test subject.  Looking forward to the whole course and see what else they've incorporated into the class.

I carry an HK P30SK 9mm off duty.  I have both an IWB and OWB kydex holster depending on what I'm wearing.  Also have a belt pouch and fanny pack for situations where the holsters aren't practical.  

I always carry at least one spare magazine.

RE: Combat pistol - fastbolt - 09-17-2017

(09-17-2017, 12:49 PM)Kong Soo Do Karate Wrote: I'm attending a course tomorrow at our agency range that specifically deals with the off-duty weapon using our normal gear we'd be wearing off-duty.  Since I'm one of the agency instructors I was run through some of the drills/scenarios as a test subject.  Looking forward to the whole course and see what else they've incorporated into the class.

I carry an HK P30SK 9mm off duty.  I have both an IWB and OWB kydex holster depending on what I'm wearing.  Also have a belt pouch and fanny pack for situations where the holsters aren't practical.  

I always carry at least one spare magazine.

Nice. Enjoy.

I think it was in '02 that I was sent to an outside training class for a week that was designed around plainclothes "tactics", meaning for all manner of plainclothes assignments where concealed weapons and gear was worn. The holsters and weapons varied, of course, and it was interesting to see what the guys & gals were wearing for plainclothes, undercover, street enforcement units, etc.

Everybody had to use realistic concealment garments, though. No vests or pretend "concealment". Instead of the usual sport or suit coats I wore everyday, I decided to make it a little more challenging, and wore an unzipped sweat shirt and a heavy quilted jacket. (It helped that it was cooler in the mornings, too.)

It was a mix of shooting and tactics discussions and practice, and even include a day of Sim scenarios (using the hosting agency's Sim-modified pistols).

I'd like to see more agencies create time for range sessions/classes devoted to the subject of off-duty weapons and tactics, myself, and include the obvious refresher/update about policies, GO's, etc. Just "qualifying" with an off-duty weapon doesn't really address whether someone is going to be able to effectively utilize it if they decide to invoke their status and become involved in an enforcement action on their own time.

Then, there's the really significant issue of making sure the off-duty cop truly understands the very real risk of not being clearly identified as an off-duty cop by some uniformed cop responding to an armed person or shots-fired call, especially if outside their normal jurisdiction. That was one of the high risk subjects covered back in the class I attended many years ago, and it was sadly coincidental timing that a local plainclothes cop in one of that county's jurisdictions had just been shot and killed by a uniform responding to a call about a week prior to the class.

Have fun with your class.

RE: Combat pistol - Kong Soo Do Karate - 09-19-2017

Thank you FB.  Had the special training class today at our agency range.  It was a four hour shooting course specifically for the off-duty carry weapon.  No duty belt/holster.  Only whatever you would normally carry off-duty.  I enjoyed it thoroughly!  Very little classroom and almost all range time.  Two-thirds of the shooters were carrying Glock off-duty.  Everyone was appendix carry with at least one spare mag.

Drills included:
  • COM torso and head shots from concealed draw at close range to include reloading from concealed mag pouches and malfunction drills.
  • Turning to see and engage a threat till the threat had ceased.  This drill offered available cover, moving to cover, COM and head shots as well as horizontal movement to threat when cover was unavailable to present a moving target to the threat.
  • Multiple threats.
  • Shoot/don't shoot multiple targets.
  • Targets that turned to face you.
  • Moving to cover and shooting from behind cover on both sides.
  • The final gauntlet was a a combination of all the previous drills.  
What I really liked is that it offered very realistic situations and allowed you to move in multiple directions as necessary, seek cover, tactically cover threats when down, tactical reloads, malfunction drills etc.  Also, what to do after the threat had stopped i.e. seek a more advantageous position such as cover, call or direct someone to activate 911, announcing yourself to the citizens around you so they don't think your a bad guy, how to interact with responding Deputies/Officers/Troopers that may not be from your agency and may not know you etc.  

Very good class and we can take it as often as it is offered.

RE: Combat pistol - fastbolt - 09-19-2017

Nice to hear it was so practical and helpful.

I've floated this idea about a minimum 4hr "perishable/tactical" off-duty class now and again. If OT has to be paid, and backfill (on-duty staff) has to be done, it's easier for a half day class. Wink

Nice they squeezed in so much trigger time, as that's the essence of being able to refresh existing skills and apply them to new tactics, or at least applying old tactics, but in new ways.

Still important to have enough discussion time to make sure everyone understands that being armed off-duty is just another way of becoming the "man with a gun" in the midst of a hot/shots fired call in another jurisdiction (or even your own, if your agency is large enough). Remaining aware of agency polices is also a good idea, especially if they change more than you might expect.

Off-duty doesn't usually make things easier, does it? Wink