Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physical requirements for black belt?
Just to toss out for the discussion, Karl Gotch (catch-as-catch-can submission wrestling) and Matt Furey would require a student to be able to do 250 Hindu push ups and 500 Hindu squats before they would even begin to teach them.  Now this was sport related of course, but it was an interesting teaching concept.  And it does have some significant carry-over to self defense training. 

Does it mean you should be able to go 12 rounds?  Well, a self defense situation doesn't go rounds, but being in good shape does assist you in preventing an injury, dealing with an injury if it occurs and manage stress better.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

we have fitness tests for black belt. the purpose of the test is to mentally, and physically tire the student, next would be free sparring with more than one person after you are already fatigued. Its to teach them that you never give up and that out on the streets when you half to fight to survive their are no time outs or stopping. We have maintained many old traditions that where once practiced in korea. our students half to run a mile with out shoes just like they do in soul korea. In korea they at times would drop you off at a mother side of town with your martial arts uniform on and when you came across another martial arts studio it was understood that you might half to spar with their high ranking students. Believe it or not my instructor in the mid 1970s use to drop his black belts of in bad parts of oakland CA and would pic them up latter a few blocks down the road. The gang members back then used to fight strangers walking through their territory and that meant you had to defend your self. obviously we don't do that any more, its to violent and you could get killed. The physical fitness test is something Ive seen maintained more in the Japaness arts then many wtf black belt curriculums but some still do it. You had to prove yourself worthy of being an Dan rank meaning you had to keep a calm mind but showed that you had the warrior spirit.
IIRC, GM Dunn had to fight a few guys during his Dan testing in Okinawa back in the 60's.  Not spar...fight.  He got his Dan ranking though.

Quote:Its to teach them that you never give up and that out on the streets when you half to fight to survive their are no time outs or stopping.

I like this concept and think it sends a strong 'take-home-point' to the student.  As I always told my students, "We never quit and we always win".
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

thats what I was always taught as well.