Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Downhill Fast
(10-21-2015, 01:25 AM)K-man Wrote: I think that most people outside of the U.S.would not be thinking that way at all.

You are correct and I'll go a step further, most people IN the U.S. aren't thinking that way either.  Less than 10% of Americans are prepared for any type of disaster whether it be natural (storm, flood, fire etc.) or man-made (terrorist attack, grid down, pandemic etc).

Most people suffer from 'it-can't-happen-to-me-syndrome'. 

As far as global warming...I don't buy into it.  The reality is that the research numbers have been deliberately falsified to fulfill political agendas.  It is about political and money i.e. carbon credits and another way to redistribute wealth from nation to nation.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for clean air and water.  But the reality is that one medium sized volcanic eruption emits more 'harmful carbon and other emissions' that all of mankind combined throughout recorded history.  Weather and climate goes in cycles.  That's been proven with the scientific method.

As far as redistribution of wealth...why?  Why should rich people give poor people their money?  I hear this nonsense all the time and that the rich 'don't do their fair share'.  That's utter hooey.  I'll use Mitt Romney as an example.  Full disclosure, I'm not a Romney fan-boy.  I just happen to remember his tax information off the top of my head to use in the example.  In 2011 he paid four million dollars in taxes.  I'll repeat this...four million dollars in taxes.  ONE GUY PAID FOUR MILLION DOLLARS IN TAXES.  He paid more $ in taxes in one year than most people will net during their entire lives.  How did he not pay 'his fair share'? 

Same thing with people flipping burgers that want to make $15/hour.  Does it take education and skill to ask it you want fries with your order?  Yet professionals that have education, training and/or high liability jobs don't get the $ they deserve.  These are people that actually contribute to society. 

Income redistribution is a liberal taking point to get votes from low information (read stupid) voters.  Nothing more, nothing less.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

The facts about what happened to the Ninth Legion are not clearly established.  Wikipedia gives a good summary:

Ninth Legion

Whatever the facts, the common understanding is that the Ninth Legion ventured into northern Britain/Caledonia and was wiped out.  No one returned.  The Ninth simply disappeared.  The Emperor Hadrian was so shocked by this stunning defeat that he built Hadrian's wall and called that wall "The End of the World."  By that he meant, "The End of Civilization."  Beyond the Wall was only barbarism, confusion, darkness, and death.  (This is all from a Rome-centric point of view.)

But for me the power of the story is found by way of analogy.  We are all born on the wrong side of the Wall.  None of us is getting out of here alive.  We are all members of the Ninth Legion.  The main point is not to survive the battle.  It is now clear that none of us is going to survive.  So, the main point is about how we choose to fight.  How we treat each other, how we choose to face death.

In this analogy, the Christian faith is about how the King Himself, not on the wrong side of the Wall, jumped it to join us.  And He didn't get out alive either.  He died.  And in that death he taught us all how to face the real enemy, which is not "those barbaric hordes," but death itself.  Much of our daily torments are driven by our attempts to avoid faces of death (fear, shame, abandonment, threat, isolation, loss, grief, etc.).  We cannot win when the very thing driving us to "win" is itself a face of death.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
I've just spent half an hour on a reply and it has been dumped by the system. What had happen to the save feature? Not happy!  Angry
(10-22-2015, 12:00 PM)K-man Wrote: I've just spent half an hour on a reply and it has been dumped by the system. What had happen to the save feature? Not happy!  Angry

That is frustrating.  Sometimes I type my reply in a text document first so I can save it.  I am not a big BBS poster, but over the years I have lost enough posts that I have some safeguards in place if I am writing a longer or more thought-out post. 

I feel your pain.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
I have no idea as to why this thread morphed into what it has become. My initial post and thread start was about how this country is on very slippery slope, vsa vie crime, drugs , illegals, police being killed at an alarming rate (to date 100+ officers killer in the line of duty and the year is not over) and politicians that do nothing and still expect the country to maintain status quo. To boot, our economy is in the toilet, but the powers that be tell us everything is hunky dory. The up coming election is an exercise in futility. If the Dems (either Clinton or Bernie) get in, I fear we'll go further down the rabbit hole. If by chance Mr. comb over (Trump) should happen to take office, nobody will work with him, so he'll become a lame duck 1 term president and yet another 4 years of nothing for the country. Bottom line, at least from my perspective, is that the country, as we know it or wish it should be, will never be the same and we'll continue to down slide into ??????
(10-22-2015, 08:47 PM)sidekick Wrote: I have no idea as to why this thread morphed into what it has become. . .

Fifty+ responses can do that.