Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Role of Grappling in Self-Defence
I first came across Hohan Soken's notes about 10 years back via a Baghua guy called Erle Montaigue. They deal mainly with vital points and meridians. Interesting that several years later I received the same notes from a different source with some videos I purchased and the same thing happened a second time. These guys were passing of the material as if it was a secret passed on to them. Their downfall was that their notes contained all the same spelling errors as the original notes from Erle.

I don't worry too much about Kyusho. I think that if you are going to hit someone you may as well hit them where it is most likely to be effective so I teach those targets. Whether or not you can connect the dots and hit in a sequence to produce a fantastic response, I'll leave up to guys like Dillman. I'm not convinced they have it right. Some years back I trained under one of his students who claimed to be a guru. None of his stuff worked so I call BS on a lot of it. The same guy who calls himself 'Doctor' has also falsified his academic qualifications so go figure.

It would be interesting to see whether Itosu's notes are the same ones I have. If they are it is possible that they would have come from Sokon Mutsumura. I think I have a digital copy that I could send you if I can find it.
I teach anti-grappling. Just enough to allow the students to escape various ground assaults or standing grabs and holds. In my mind "grappling" is more geared toward the sporting environment, not self-defense. When properly trained I see no reason for an intended victim to attempt to apply locks, holds, or methods of control not unless their jobs require it- law enforcement, security, etc.

Steve
"Personal safety is a way of life, not just a hobby!" ~Steve Zorn
Personal Safety Unlimited
Question 
Steve, what methods do you teach to avoid going to the ground?
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

(03-10-2016, 01:12 PM)Kong Soo Do Wrote: Steve, what methods do you teach to avoid going to the ground?

Generally speaking fundamental standing skills and mobility can reduce the possibility of going to the ground. Once we understand that there are 5 general ways we can end up on the ground in the first place- tripped, pushed, pulled, tackled, or sucker punched we can train accordingly. That said, I am not trying to imply that we can always prevent ending up on the ground. However, if we do end up on the ground I don't think that sport-based grappling provides the ideal solution for ending the attack in an efficient manner or allowing us to get back to our feet quickly, especially considering the potential for multiple attackers, weapons, hazardous terrain, etc.

Steve
"Personal safety is a way of life, not just a hobby!" ~Steve Zorn
Personal Safety Unlimited