Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has olympic Taekwondo ruined the reputation of the art?
Saw the following on another forum and found the discussion interesting. Here's the OP quote:

Quote:I just saw the olympic gold medal match in London. An Italian beat a guy from Gabon. The thing that bothered me the most, is that they were so obsessed with scoring and not being scored on, there was hardly any Taekwondo. They just stood side to side, hovering on one leg, constantly looking for an opening to score. It was pitiful.

I ran in a few people on the internet that said that Taekwondo's reputation has been damaged by the sporty side of Taekwondo, which is focused on scoring instead of fighting.

One of them said: It's a disgrace to the martial art and only soils it. These athletes have little to no technique and throw a flurry of weak kicks which though great in speed lack control and power.

You think it's true?
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

It only hurts TKD to those that have had serious training. To the rest of the Kung Fu Kitties, this is what their taught and it's all the know. But hey!, at least they won a medal or two and maybe they can use them when they have to deal with a real situation in the street.
I think sport has definitely damaged TKD's rep among martial artists. As sidekick said, most folks looking for a kiddie club or new sport don't know any different and likely don't care.

It's unfortunate because there are sport TKD guys who are also all around solid martial artists and are assumed to be hacks.

As I've said before, it all goes down to simple honesty. I think if more schools were up front about what they teach and why there wouldn't be such confusion and disrespect.
The sport has watered down the art, the money you half to pay to be kukkiwon student is a joke for the instruction, they have forgot that TAE Kwon Do is the art of kicking and PUNCHING but the worst is when Im at a tournament and every 12yr old is a 2nd or 3rd Dan when they can't even explain their most basic moves to me. Many do not now any history about their art, and most have no idea what it is like to do a form hard they just throw punches and kicks soft with no realistic intentions behind the moves. Our Founder in Korea already shaw this coming back in the late 1960's and he was correct. The sport was good because it spread the art and it helped build a korean nationalistic movement in their country something they needed however the old instructors over time retired and many that came later cut corners and brock all traditions in order to make money. So their is no rep for tae kwon do as a martial art mostly as a sport and that has hurt every single one of use that teach some form of korean martial arts Because when people think of korean arts they think oh Tae kwon do or the olympics.