Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hapkido with Conrad!
I thoroughly enjoyed visiting Conrad's school yesterday.  He was kind enough to let demonstrate Tactical Hapkido for his class and we had several hours of joint locking practice.  I also participated in the bo staff lesson offered by Master Clarance Murray, very fun and informative.

Thank you Conrad for inviting me!
Jon
Thank you Jon for visiting!  It was great to meet someone who I know from Martial Warrior and IKSDA face-to-face.  The students loved having you and were talking about it for quite some time last night.  Also, Clarence Murray spoke highly of your skill-set and knowledge.  Not that you need that affirmation, but Clarence isn't one to throw around unmeant praise.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
Glad to see you on the board Jon Smile

And glad you guys were able to get together for training, that is very cool!  What did you all cover?
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

David,
I provided an overview of the THA system demonstrating techniques and approaches to threats from different belt levels and encouraged student participation. Then Master Murray taught me a great deal about the bo staff and I am very appreciative.

Conrad,
Please pass to him my sincere appreciation. He is quite a remarkable man!

I just want to add to those of you in the IKSDA community you should visit Conrad's school. He has a very solid program and his students are phenomenal. It reminded me a great deal of the school that Master Tim ran when I first began.
Quote:Instructor wrote:

I just want to add to those of you in the IKSDA community you should visit Conrad's school. He has a very solid program and his students are phenomenal. It reminded me a great deal of the school that Master Tim ran when I first began.

You are too kind.  Two of the students (Ben and Co) aren't really my students, though they recognize my position and are my main assistants.  We all trained together under Jim Schwarm and, to a small extent, Bill Eury.  Later, after he found us, we also have trained with Clarence Murray. 

I have some gifts related to research, teaching, organization, and leadership.  So hopefully I have added well to what I was given.  But the actual skill of the students is perhaps more in spite of me than because of me.

Still, I appreciate the encouragement.  If you are a Lord of the Rings fan (the novels, not the movies), there is an exchange between Faramir and Frodo where Faramir says, "The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards."
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
Conrad,

Huge LOR fan. I reread the trilogy and the Hobbit every year or two. Every time I read it I get something new out of it.

Regarding your school. Don't sell yourself short, you've held that group together and kept them moving forward. My own teacher was in a similar situation. His teacher had to move away and left him holding the bag and we all soldiered on. But those days with my teacher learning and growing are some my happiest and most important experiences. All a martial artist needs to grow is time and continued training, the art itself often teaches us many truths that are never even mentioned by the teacher.

For myself I look forward to coming again and being a part of it all. Perhaps we could set it up so that I could have a dedicated hour or two a week for Hapkido on the months that I work days. When I can't be there you could still do the drills with the folks if you want just follow the instructions on Hapkido Online.

Jon