Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chambered punch - interpretation, analysis and application

I'd like to use the above video as an example.  But I'd like you to consider it in reverse for a moment.  Rather than the fist being moved away from your body, towards the attacker as a punch consider that the reverse movement could represent the hand grasping something on the attacker such as his wrist, clothing, belt, hair etc and you grasping it tightly.  Then you a drawing him back into your center of gravity while simultaneously twisting the limb or object.  This could have the effect of off-balancing your attacker thus setting him up for a strike, throw or sweep. 

I was taught early on that when the hand comes back to the hip, it isn't as a 'chamber' for a strike, rather it is because that hand is grasping something and you're pulling it back into your center of gravity whilst off-balancing your attacker.  Now chambered punches are often 'performed' during static line drills.  But imagine a more dynamic setting such as while your grasping the attacker's limb and pulling it into your center you are simultaneously stepping backwards to increase the power of the pull.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

I teach the same. To me, Karate is close quarters combat. Normally one hand is holding while the other is striking. Even the turning of the hand being chambered is significant in taking your opponent's balance. What I disagree with in the video is the horizontal fist. Ishin Ryu use a vertical fist and others in Okinawa use a natural fist. It is fundamentally wrong to have the fist horizontal as it makes it very difficult to use your elbow to protect against an incoming strike.