Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qualifications of self-defense?
(03-13-2016, 03:13 PM)sidekick Wrote: "Citizens on the other hand are generally reluctant defenders. While some may understand that they may someday be forced to protect themselves, but most truly believe they will never have to"

Here in lies the problem of why SD can be difficult to teach, regardless of who is teaching and from where all their information is gleaned from. All the rhetoric and informational data and specific scenarios won't imprint, without the proper mindset and sadly, many if not most just don't or won't accept that needed aspect.

I completely agree with you here. I refer to this as the "ostrich syndrome". People just want to stick their head in the sand and believe that bad things only happen to other people. Unfortunately this only increases the likelihood that they will be a target of predators at some point during their life. The good news is that if people are attending our self-defense courses then it's these people that at least accept the fact that bad things could happen to them and they are taking steps in the right direction.

Quote:Now not to nit pick, but the sniper analogy also comes with a lot more personal safeguards for personal safety. He must be vigilant, totally aware of the surroundings, stealth as to not draw attention and so on. All these attributes fall within the guidelines of practical SD. Police on the other hand, may not physically encounter a particular threat or attack, but they see the aftermath. This is or should be one of the data points you suggest and who better to offer a critique.

I agree and I am not saying that police, soldiers, security, etc. don't have something to offer. I just feel that they should seek out training to fill in their gaps prior to teaching to civilians. As an example- there are many special ops soldiers teaching firearms courses these days. While the courses are promoted to civilians many of them include techniques, tactics, and strategies that are generally irrelevant to the needs of civilians. Many people flock to these courses with an understanding that they are doing it for "fun" and to get a glimpse into the training of a special ops soldier. However, tons more flock to these courses with the misguided assumption that it will improve their odds of surviving a lethal force firefight. That may or may not be the case but the instructor at the bare minimum should either make it perfectly clear that the training isn't especially applicable to civilians before he begins or modify the material so that it is applicable. Unfortunately many of these instructors either lack the understanding to do this or just don't care.

Quote:We're most likely very much on the same page when discussing SD, just coming from different positioning.

I believe that we are on the same page regarding SD. I have read many of your other post and tend to agree more often than not.

Steve
"Personal safety is a way of life, not just a hobby!" ~Steve Zorn
Personal Safety Unlimited