Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baton/stick drills
Question 
Anyone train/teach baton length sticks?  If so, what kind of drills do you use?  Any particular kata?  Thanks Smile
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

(03-10-2016, 01:10 PM)Kong Soo Do Wrote: Anyone train/teach baton length sticks?  If so, what kind of drills do you use?  Any particular kata?  Thanks Smile

I train using 26 inch Rattan Kali sticks or American hardwood sticks as well as collapsible baton varying in length from 12 to 26 inches. I use 9 angles of attack and a 10 count stick drill which can be performed solo or with a partner.
Back in the day, walking a beat, I carried the 26" nightstick made of cocobolo (very hard wood) with a leather strap/thong which went around the wrist or circled around the middle finger, much like a yoyo. Could do all sorts of flipping and twirling with it, much like a yoyo. More than once it helped against an assault from a perp. Still have one I keep in the car, but so far that's where it has remained. As for any new or updated training with it or teaching it to a martial arts class, no I don't offer it as a carry weapon (because it's illegal for a civilian to use one that's been designated for LE), but I do teach aspects of the use of a plain stick or a piece of fencing that someone could come across as a weapon of opportunity. There's really not that much to teach with it. A simple cross block - followed by a reverse strike, a forceful down block - again followed by a reverse strike, a front jab - followed by a step in reverse the stick close jab to the head and the ever famous swing for the fence to the side of the knee. Once learned, their forever imprinted in most people.
If you have any links, videos, pics or other training material I'd appreciate it.  I'd like to view other training to what I already have.   Smile
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.