Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Karate: The original MMA

Quite an interesting video, and one that shows just how applicable karate (and by extension other martial arts) can be in regards to sports or self-defense.

Karate Culture
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Of course in Okinawa it is not a sport. A lot of modern day martial artists have no idea of how effective and relevant Okinawan karate is. No surprise to me.
It really does a good job of demonstrating that those movements in kata and drills actually mean something besides just filling class time.  It's interesting, and in many ways sad, how the paradigm has so drastically changed in martial arts.  The positive is that the martial arts are accessible to almost anyone (depending on the country in which they live).  The negative is that the real, effective and brutal meaning has been given the back seat in favor of watered down sporting applications.  That doesn't mean I necessarily abhor martial arts in sports, but on the other hand I'm no real fan either.  

Good to see a video like this on YT along with videos from Iain Abernethy, Stuart Anslow and the like.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.