Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Degradation of Karate is Over!
Exclamation 
The Degradation of Karate is Over!
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

All I can add is that I practised what was regarded as 'traditional karate' for many years. When I first saw Okinawan karate I had to start again. It was chalk and cheese. I would feel totally at home in Iain's dojo and I believe he would be very comfortable in mine. Iain has probably done more to open karateka's eyes to 'real' karate than any other Westerner with perhaps the exception of George Dillman.
I agree that Abernethy Sensei has really been a pioneer in bringing karate back to being a realistic form of self defense.  More than that, he's inspired Sturart Anslow and Simon O'Neil in the world of TKD as well.  

I know he's radically transformed the way I look at kata (about 15 years ago give or take).
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

(06-20-2016, 12:24 PM)K-man Wrote: All I can add is that I practised what was regarded as 'traditional karate' for many years. When I first saw Okinawan karate I had to start again. It was chalk and cheese. I would feel totally at home in Iain's dojo and I believe he would be very comfortable in mine. Iain has probably done more to open karateka's eyes to 'real' karate than any other Westerner with perhaps the exception of George Dillman.

I agree
"Karate is making a comeback.  But if karate is going to thrive in the modern era it has to keep up with the times.  The modern karate movement’s path is clear - get rid of the mystic BS, practice pragmatic and useful techniques, get rid of the tough-guy attitudes, make the katas more than a dance, and get rid of the excessive pageantry and egos in your dojo if you want karate to get back to what it once was – civilian self-defense.  And thank the karate gods the modern karate movement has put karate well on its way to its former glory."

This is a joke, right!................In today's "I want it now mentality" and our little Johnny / Tiffany can do no wrong parenting, the above statement is so far from the truth it's laughable. Now granted, there may be the possibility that somewhere / someplace, there are / could be a handful of truly dedicated martial arts practitioners that have found the path and are walking it, but the VAST majority of people partaking are there for non martial aspects. They want medals and trophies to show folks just how good they are at playing tag and jumping acrobatics. The folks that have to deal with real possibilities of violent confrontations (ie; LEO's and Military) don't have time for learning the fullness of what can be achieved and as for LEO's, their organization directives won't let them use any training above what they have dictated. Saw the USMC's hand to hand offerings that really fell into the BJJ fade and it was a total farce. Rolling in a battle condition with multiple bad guys and live fire all around you is just plain stupid and from what I've heard, they have reviewed and reconstructed into a better real deal offering.

George Dillman was at one time a good proponent of the arts and did do some good seminars, but he too has succumbed to the dark side (money) and has for all intensive purposes, had his cheese slide off his cracker. No touch knockouts and the like..............
The only way forward I can see is for all Karate or martial arts styles to work together with mutual respect and no ego's. If something works you don't half to reinvent the wheel however if the techniques are not functional for todays streets then somethings need to be changed. I think the changing of information that is at our finger tips with fourms like this and the popularity of MMA has exposed the MC DoJo's and belt factories for what they really are and for those of use that don't fallow that example we will continue to be around and become more educated with our techniques but only if we work together. The things we should be asking our selves is with so many great pioneers that have made big progress forward in the martial arts who will be the next generation of leaders. What will your contributions to the arts be. All karate and martial arts is becoming better the train took a while to get moving but it is moving forward so I have hope for the future.
d_spencer:

Great post.  All I can do is start with the man in the mirror.  BTW, I sent you a private message.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)