Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certification
This could apply to any martial art, but I recently saw a KKW/TKD specific question that was interesting.  Would you prefer (if you're TKD) a certificate from a large organization or from your personal instructor?
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Personal Instructor. They are there, coaching, teaching, mentoring, cajoling etc. When you get a certificate from them, it means more in my opinion..
(07-24-2016, 09:33 PM)Harold Wrote: Personal Instructor. They are there, coaching, teaching, mentoring, cajoling etc. When you get a certificate from them, it means more in my opinion..

I agree
Any use for a KKW certification? Personally, I've had the opportunity to get certification (from several different sources) up to the master's level. Never bothered to do so as it really doesn't reflect anything close to what I actually teach.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

(07-28-2016, 11:33 AM)Kong Soo Do Wrote: Any use for a KKW certification?  Personally, I've had the opportunity to get certification (from several different sources) up to the master's level.  Never bothered to do so as it really doesn't reflect anything close to what I actually teach.

No use for me. As you stated, it doesn't reflect what I teach
The only thing a KKW cert is necessary for is if you want to participate in national/international sparring/forms competitions. But if I remember correctly, if you roll it up real tight, you can use it as spit ball tube also...... Rolleyes
Personal Instructor.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
KKW certification is to watered down and does not reflect what most instructors teach their students here in america or in korea. If you want to be a olympic coach or have students sparring in the olympics then Kukkiwon is the way however karate sparring is know coming to the olympics and they have stated that if you are of a korean Karate background you can compete it's not going to be like the JKA Rules and standards.