Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warm up?
Question 
So what do you do to warm up before class?
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Circular joint exercises as well as hamstring and trunk stretches
Go to the bathroom and think about stretching............at my age that's about all I can handle....... Cool
Some dynamic stretching focusing on legs and hips in general plus a short bodyweight workout.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
What's your body weight workout consist of?

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

I have several that the class (or just I) rotates through.

Here are some of them:

The 45/15 Gauntlet 
1.)  Karate Squat w/ Extension - 45 secs - Run in Place - 15 secs 

2.)  Fireman Push-Ups - 45 secs - Run in Place - 15 secs 

3.)  Jump Lunges - 45 secs - Run in Place - 15 secs 

4.)  T-Pushups - 45 secs - Run in Place - 15 secs 

5.)  Burpee with 2 Jumps - 45 secs - Run in Place - 15 secs

6.) 15 Karate Jumping Jacks 

* Repeat as needed up to 2 more times or just do one time through if you are short on time. 5 minutes is better than zero minutes!

The Triad Circuit
- Jumping Jacks (15)

- Karate Push-Ups (10)

- Karate Squats (30)

* Do three circuits in a row

Six Minutes in Hades
1.)  20 sec. 2 punches,180 degree turn to sprawl (10 sec. Rest)

2.)  20 sec. sprawl to 2 punches (10 seconds rest)

3.)  20 sec. karate push-ups (10 sec. Rest)

* Do four circuits

Extreme Fit (We rarely do this one.  It just takes too much class time.)
1.)  Frog Leaps (20 sec. on/10 sec. break) 6 sets 

2.)  Karate Push-Ups (20 sec. on/10 sec. break) 6 sets

3.)  Karate Crunchers (20 sec. on/10 sec. break) 6 sets 

4.)  Burpees (20 sec. on/10 sec. break) 6 sets 

5.)  Push-Ups (20 sec. on/10 sec. break) 6 sets

6.)  Karate Squats w/ Kicks (20 sec. on/10 sec. break) 6 sets 

7.)  Wall Sits (two minutes)

I can describe them more if anyone is interested.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
Please describe;
  • Karate push up
  • Fireman push up
  • Karate crunchers
Like your warm ups  Smile

(09-02-2016, 06:23 PM)Kong Soo Do Wrote: Please describe;
  • Karate push up
  • Fireman push up
  • Karate crunchers
Like your warm ups  Smile

We don't do a whole lot. Some simple footwork oriented stuff for adults, with children we do something called animal walks, and sometimes something we call "Mario" where they jog around the room and then perform some simple things like jumps, turns, punches, kicks, or army crawl when called out as the circle the space.

My original TKD instructor always encouraged us to do our stretching and exercise outside of class. He'd say "you don't need me to show you how to do that stuff, we spend class time focused on the things you need instruction with"
A karate push up is a Matt Furey or "Hindu Push Up."  Similar to dive bomber push ups but the focus is more in your core and less in your shoulders.

A fireman push up is better known now as a plank push up.  Here is a video link: Plank Push Up

Karate Crunchers are crunchers from a jiu-jitsu guard position, with the hands reaching up as if eye gouging or grabbing an opponent's neck.

(09-03-2016, 01:51 AM)Conrad Wrote: A karate push up is a Matt Furey or "Hindu Push Up."  Similar to dive bomber push ups but the focus is more in your core and less in your shoulders.

A fireman push up is better known now as a plank push up.  Here is a video link: Plank Push Up

Karate Crunchers are crunchers from a jiu-jitsu guard position, with the hands reaching up as if eye gouging or grabbing an opponent's neck.

Okay gotcha, thanks for the explanation.  I like the 'Hindu' push ups and use to do a lot of them.  Good stuff.