Poll: What % of your training is geared toward realistic self defense?
Zero. My training concentrates on sport and/or fitness
25% or less
Up to 50%
Up to 75%
Up to 100%
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much of your training would be usable for self-defense?
Question 
From a realistic perspective, how much of your martial arts training would be usable in real life, against a violent attacker determined to injure you as severely as possible as quickly as possible?
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

My vote was 100%...........For the vast majority of folks that have not been in the military or LE trained, it would totally depend on the state of mind that would be present with the individual.
Not to mention the goal and focus of the instructor's school.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

My vote is also 100%. I tell my students "if you can show me anything we train that you couldn't use in a bar fight then I'll take it out of the curriculum". 

There was one technique I teach where one day a highly trained martial artist was able to evade it. It happened each time I attempted it frustrating me no end. I was quite prepared to stop teaching it when the penny dropped. All I needed was light pressure from my fingertips and he was trapped. Now I teach the technique with the small modification and it works just fine.

Moral of the story ... if you don't train with non-compliant partners you will never be sure your techniques will work.
(09-17-2016, 02:17 PM)K-man Wrote: Moral of the story ... if you don't train with non-compliant partners you will never be sure your techniques will work.

+1