Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSD self defense

Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

It has been so long since I did those wide long stances that now looking at them it looks like you would be so off balance but if you are used to doing it that way then it works for you. Flashbacks from the 70's & 80's.
Thought it was a good way to kick start this section  Wink

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

Our stances have also narrowed considerably since my earlier days. The clincher for me that led to the change was weapons training. The deep stances really make your legs vulnerable to weapon attacks and can get in the way of your own weapon. That's my 2 cents worth.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
The key is mobility for me. Deeper is more rooted, but also is less mobile. In SD you need to be able to be more fluid and transition more quickly than those deeper stances allow.