Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Korean Fighting Art
A Korean Fighting Art

[Image: 61Ab57LHxtL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

Master Spencer was kind enough to send his book to me to review.  I found this to be a well thought out, comprehensive presentation of Korean Karate.  It has a plethora of pictures and photos throughout the book which I find to be a big plus.  I have several good martial arts books that only have scant photos or sketches that really leave a lot to be desired when trying to convey a technique.  This book however does a good job in the photo selection.  Well enough that you could teach a specific technique and then the student could use this book as a reference later on outside of the school.

One of the things this book reminded me of was my first Uechi Ryu/Pangainoon book written by George Matson.  Commonly referred to as the 'red book' it was sort of the book for the art.  This could be viewed in the same vein.  Since this book covers Korean martial arts history (giving the appropriate nod of respect to the Okinawan arts), warm ups, basics and then into some of the actual training.  Good book to hand a beginner that walks into your school.

Thank you Master Spencer for the opportunity to read/review your book.  Well done.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Thank you so much for the review GM Schultz. I wanted this book to give the reader a good bang for their buck. I wanted to document our art in a well thought out but not test by test way that we train in the Dojang but in a way that everybody could respect and learn from this book. The sections on bone breaking and pressure points is for more of the intermediate to advanced students and yet the basic stances and blocks is broken down for the beginner student. One friend of myen is a high ranking black belt in kajukenbo and after reading my book he told me he had no idea the korean arts had so much to offer. That response was another goal I wanted to show that Korean Karate and its foundation was much more then just the art of kicking and punching or tournaments. GM Schultz for you to put my book even in the same category as George Matson's I'm incredibly humbled and honord with that.