Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TKD Forms - Palgwe

Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Even so the Taegeuk poomsae are the official Kukkiwon forms and the Palgwe forms are obsolete. There are many schools in Korea still teaching them. The video is good but going down the middle I was shown the middle blocks was from outside inward ( inside middle block ). It depends on who taught it and as it was passed down.
There is an instructor on the north side of the city here ( GM Man Hee Han ) Grand Master Han is a respected member of the Martial Arts Society. He served on the Board of Directors for the Korean Tae Kwon Do Federation in its early days and helped design the Palgwe forms presently used by the World Tae Kwon Do Federation and was inducted into the Texas Karate Hall of Fame in 2000.
I talked to him and he told me the reason the difference in the way instructors teach the blocks was when the Palgwe forms was written down on paper it did not state inside or outside ...... just middle block. In 2009 I went to an Official Kukkiwon Poomsae Training Seminar and the we also was taught Palgwe 1,2,3 and was told about the same thing and even in Korea it not all taught the same way.
If I teach forms again I will teach Palgwe
Very cool ansure I was also taught as a inner block because of the instructions saying Middle Block. We teach the Palgwe forms and after reading a auto biography on GM Kim Soo another instructor at the time that helped create the plagwe form he said their was a big problem with Plagwe 4 turns after the spear hand the Moo Duk Kwan wanted the turns to be like the Pyung forms with one leg going into a back cross state before turning into a hammer fist strike but most other arts wanted it the way it is taught today but they left that part open soo some times you see the turns different from school to school.
Yes 4 and 7 has been my favorite ones. When Palgwe 4 starts out with the high block/middle block, most schools teach it as a outside middle block. The JiDoKwan taught it as blocking with the back of the fist ( as in a sideways back fist ), there are those that have been around for a while can watch someone performing one of the Palgwe forms and can tell which kwan lineage that form is from.
I learned neither Palgwe nor Taeguk, but Chang Hon forms.  But the motions are the motions whatever the particulars of the forms.  In the last few years there has been a heavy influence of shorin-ryu in my school.  We don't know any of the shorin-ryu forms but the bunkai is still the bunkai.  It just takes a little extra work to "translate" it into the kata we already know.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)