Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women's Self Defense Course
I've been asked to teach a woman's self defense course.  I've done so in the past and have my outline but would like to solicit any additional information, links, videos etc from the membership to look at to add to what I already have prepared.  Always want to see if there is something I've missed, something that can be improved etc.

My areas are home, travel and personal defense to include hands-on, conventional weapons to include firearms and improvised weapons.  

Thank you.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Just for the sake those that view the forum, the biggest thing for a womans SD class that must be offered is the mindset that's need to do harm to another. All an instructor can do is vocalize the need for this, but it's really up to the individual to take the message and adhere to it.
Can I ask how long the course will run for?
Right now the plan is a 6-week course which is one class of 1 1/2 hours each week.  One class on home defense (making your home a hard target), travel defense (while travelling or in vehicle) and personal to include hands-on, weapons (conventional & improvised) as well as tactics, legalities etc.  The personal defense will include firearms which will probably encompass 3 of the sessions.  Other weapons will be taser, stun gun, flashlights, kubatons, tactical pen and improvised.

The objective is not to 'master' any particular area but rather exposure to simple, gross motor skills across the board that are retainable in long term memory and can be simply trained after the course is over.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

Well, I need to piggy back on this.  If you had one class, three hours, to teach a basic, unarmed, self-defense class to women, what would you most emphasize?
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
Avoidance and mitigation.  What I mean is ways to totally avoid a situation by making the home/car more of a hard target.  Secondly, awareness of surroundings.  To this end carrying a small LED flashlight, in hand while walking can go a long way towards mitigation/prevention.  Lastly, simple, gross motor skilled tactics such as chin jab, edge of hand, eye gouge etc.

Thanks for the advice. It is most helpful.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
Your welcome.  I'm hoping to hook up with a local gun range for the shooting sessions.  Some of the women have limited experience, some have none.  So I'm excited about introducing them to firearms and helping them build confidence.

Spoke to the local range.  Talking about $20 per lady which includes their range fee.  I'll toss that out to the lady that is coordinating the whole thing but I think it's a good step in the right direction to getting this thing kicked off right.

The church is having a marriage retreat.  The course will be set up after that has concluded  Smile