Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
knife defense techniques
    Here is one published in my book.

Another technique  however my publisher only allows me to show a few.[img]attachment.php?thumbnail=11[/img]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you for sharing Smile
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Thanks for sharing what you are able.

FWIW, long ago I realized that the best way to learn to "defend" against a knife attack, was to thoroughly understand how to use a knife, and recognize potential weakness or ways to perform "pattern breaks" during an attacker's flow.

One of the common "old sayings" that can be heard is that a blade in the hands of even an untrained person can "erase" the first 5 years of arts training of even a dedicated practitioner, as the blade cuts anything in its path. Having been the target of someone who seriously tried to gut me with a kitchen boning type knife (approx 6" blade), I can see how that saying might have some merit. I'd only been a practitioner for 10 years when it occurred, and it was being able to react without thinking that saved me from being cut. That unconscious reaction takes time to develop and cultivate, and the time it takes differs from one person to another.

Learning "knife defense" as just another unarmed technique against a weapon can risk having a practitioner fail to recognize inherent strengths and weakness of both a weapon, and an attacker's ability to incorporate himself with the weapon (and vice versa).

A "directional defense" against a blade can be risky, as the blade can easily twist and shift its edge/point, much like a snake can change the direction of its head/bite. Blades don't have "joints" (like hands, fingers, elbows and knees), and even a destabilized or weakened hand holding one doesn't lessen the potential severity of the edge or point meeting a victim's flesh.

There's some merit to hearing the expression, a "live blade" ... even in the hands of an otherwise "untrained" person. It's unwise to consider someone who has previously cut, slashed, stabbed or killed another person, with a blade, as "untrained", too. Experiential "training", meaning a successful use of their weapon/force, which has worked for an attacker, ought not be discounted as making them even more dangerous.

Just some thoughts.