Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tae kwon do kukkiwon poomsae forms what do you think of them
NEW POOMSAE: HIMCHARI
 NEW POOMSAE: SAEBYEOL
New Kukkiwon Poomsae 10 Onnuri 

look at them and tell me your honest opinion. I personally am not that impressed but others may feel different.
They are good for the elite competitors to show off their skill level as an athlete. I am sure if you look hard enough
you can find something to use for self defense but for the most part its for tournaments
(06-27-2017, 07:26 PM)hoshindo Wrote: They are good for the elite competitors to show off their skill level as an athlete. I am sure if you look hard enough
you can find something to use for self defense but for the most part its for tournaments
I believe the idea was also to make the poomsae more difficult and I believe they have achieved that goal. Dodgy
My opinion is that TKD (in general and in particular) has saturated itself with too many forms.  It's come down to 'learn a form, pay a fee, take a test, get a new belt'.  That isn't martial arts.  It's simply a business model and way to generate income.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

(06-28-2017, 04:06 PM)Kong Soo Do Karate Wrote: My opinion is that TKD (in general and in particular) has saturated itself with too many forms.  It's come down to 'learn a form, pay a fee, take a test, get a new belt'.  That isn't martial arts.  It's simply a business model and way to generate income.

the kukkiwon is always looking to get members or tourists to visit korea and spending money to do their sanctioned poomsae seminars. In some ways thats good you get a chance to train with their masters and learn more about the culture of your art. We see krav maga doing the same thing with their semiars in isral, and their government recognizes the amount of money that comes into their country for these seminars so they have helped by poring millions of dollars in advertising to movies and articles to booster the art for more martial arts's to come and train their. another place is brazil that advertise for instructors to go their and learn jujitsu, so my point is I personally think the forms shound have had more feed back from their members because I would almost state about half of every kukkiwon instructor Ive been talking to have some real issues with these new competition forms, mostly being how are they going to teach these forms when they don't know them or even how to do many of the multiple jumping spinning kicks.
These new "competitive" directed forms could be a blessing in disguise. They will certainly eliminate all but the very top echelon athlete. In doing so, just perhaps then the rest will finally come to understand that other aspects of training are and should be a much higher priority............
I agree with sidekick
I agree with sidekick as well.

Once I became a black belt, I asked, "What's next?" I had no network at that time. Most of what I found was, "Learn two more kata (not bunkai, just more movement), and a little more history. That anchor seemed lacking.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
It would appear that the KKW is adding 8 additional forms for adults  Rolleyes

My view is that they have WAY to many as it is now.  I'm wondering what the real motivation is behind this move and are they realizing that they are admitting that the current forms aren't cutting it?
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.