Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shotgun drills
Information 

Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Nice. Handy it was such a small class (also good because of the instructor/student ratio, too).

The curriculum demonstrated & discussed in that class seemed to contain a good amount of the practical and essential basics in running a pump gun in a defensive/service role, at least compared to what I've learned and have taught in LE firearms training over the years.

I've seen how even some ardent sporting shotgunners (hunters, skeet, trap) working in LE can usually benefit from some defensive/service-role specific training in better utilizing the full potential of a shotgun as a defensive long gun.

I've been glad to see a returning interest in pump shotguns in recent years. The advent of the "patrol rifle" (while obviously possessing some excellent advantages for defensive/tactical employment) in the post-North Hollywood Bank Robbery years has rather distracted from the venerable advantages of a pump shotgun in the roles of both personal defensive and "working" deployment.

Then again, there's the added novelty of lots of both private owners and LE users/owners of AR's succumbing to festooning their rifles & carbines with enough extra gear and gadgetry to make the property master of a Star Wars film proud. Wink Although, there's enough aftermarket doodads for shotguns available, too.

Now that some of the basics have been addressed in that class, consider a little more advanced follow up class that can address further capabilities in utilizing the pump gun. Some fine tuning in using recoil for accelerating the timing and stroking of the pump action; the position of the front support hand for quicker threat target acquisition and alignment; the pro's & con's of some of the light unit placements and slings; types of sighting/sights; barricade & shooting from corners; shoulder mounting considerations for heavy clothing and posture; and various types of loadings; etc.

Glad you had fun, too. Smile
I wasn't at the class actually, but found it while surfing YT and thought it was a good video.  If you come across any vids of more advance SG drill please post them!  Love to continually add to the tool box.

I'm happy to see that my agency took my suggestion and we are now shooting SG from elevated position.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.