Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kong Soo Do in Korean history
Lightbulb 
After Korea was liberated by the Allies during WWII, the four main Japanese arts of Judo (Yudo), Kendo (Kumdo), Jujutsu (Yusul) and Karatedo (Kong Soo Do) remained popular according to the article, "People & Events of Taekwondo's Formative Years", Dakin Burdick M.A., Journal of Asian Martial Arts vol. 6, number 1 1997.*

*Italicized are the Koreanized names for these Japanese arts.

Mr. Burdick goes on to state that, "The various schools of Kongsudo retained much of the style of karatedo for many years, including the various karatedo forms". Further in the article he discusses the first six Kwans (schools) of karatedo (Kong Soo Do) to appear;
  • Chong Do Kwan
  • Mu Duk kwan
  • Yun Mu Kwan (Yon Mu Kwan)
  • Chi do Kwan
  • Chang Mu Kwan
  • Sang Mu Kwan (Song Mu Kwan)

During the Korean war, the first efforts were made in the ROK to organize all of the various Kong Soo Do (Karate Do) schools. In the early 1950's the Korea Kong Soo Do (Kongsudo) Association was formed.

Interestingly enough, the Chong Do Kwan continued to use the term Kong Soo Do until 1962, well after many other schools had begun using Taekwondo.

According the the book, "Taekwondo, Traditions, Philosophy, Technique" by Marc Tedeschi, four of the original Kwans used Kong Soo Do (along with either Tang Soo Do or Kwon Bup) as a label. These kwans were;
  • Song Mu Kwan
  • Chang Mu Kwan
  • Yon Mu Kwan
  • Chi Do Kwan

This demonstrates a use of the term Kong Soo Do by various founding Kwans as well as its link to several different karate systems such as Shotokan, Shudokan and Shito Ryu.

This establishes a link to the beginnings of 'Korean Karate' and a link for the modern use of Kong Soo Do.
Two thousand years ago wise men sought Christ, wise men still do.

Techniques are situational, principles are universal.

Fast as the wind, quiet as the forest, aggressive as fire, and immovable as a mountain.

He who gets there first with the most...wins!

Minimal force may not be minimum force!

We don't rise to the occasion...we sink to the level of our training.

Thanks for this summary. I have Tedeschi's "Taekwondo: The Essential Introduction." I'll use this for our Facebook page.
Martial Arts done well leads to a more virtuous life because everyone is fighting something.

"If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is evil, even the light that is within you will be darkness.  If the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness?"  (Jesus of Nazareth)
I like it. I also like seeing Song Mu Kwan in the mix. It's not one of the bigger ones but is the kwan that I first learned under. Our GM was a direct student of Byung Jik Ro